Any longer car journey builds up trash. Coffee cups, soft drink bottles, sandwich wrappings, candy bar covers, tissues, you name it – any time people live in a confined space for any amount of time, garbage piles up.
No problem, right? There are more trash cans for cars out there than minutes in a year – you pick one, fit it and go about your journey.
But you know it’s not that simple, don’t you? If your environment is stable, like a room in your home, then nothing that goes into the garbage is likely to tip, jolt, and shower the floor with increasingly questionable, stinky garbage.
In a moving environment like a car though, anything goes. There will be jackasses who pull out ahead of you, requiring a slamming on of brakes and a good deal of self-censored language. There will be sudden bends that loom out of nowhere. There will be all kinds of driving conditions that affect your standard car trash can like it’s been strapped into a rollercoaster.
That’s why you need a weighted trash can for your car.
The weight helps counteract the pressures of the driving environment, to keep the garbage where it belongs, no matter who’s driving or how… interesting the ride.
Want a quick way through the minefield of potential garbage hell?
We’ve got you covered – and your garbage safe.
In a hurry? Here’s our top pick.
In this post we'll cover:
- 1 Best Weighted Trash Cans for Cars
- 2 Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Best Weighted Trash Cans for Cars
The Coli Alma garbage can combines everything you need in a weighted garbage can for your car.
In the first place, it’s light when unloaded, coming in at just 1 pound. That means you’re not going to strain something important when it’s full and you need to empty it.
It’s also made of plastic, rather than any of the lined material bins out there. That means if your kid throws away a juice carton because they’re done with it, and it’s still half-full, it can happily leak all the way to Grandma’s house and you won’t spray grape juice all over your car’s floor – wet waste is no drama in a plastic bin.
It’s especially no drama in a large capacity bin. The Coli Alma gives you a full gallon of capacity, so however many of you are travelling, or how long your journey, you’re unlikely to fill the garbage can on a single trip.
All of which is fine and dandy, but when stability is the name of the game, you want a weighted trash can that’s not going anywhere. The Coli Anna comes with heavy duty anti-slip arms, to reduce any sliding during your drive.
In short, the Coli Anna weighted car garbage can is not going to tip, slide, overturn or leak. It’s everything you need in a weighted trash can for your car, and while it’s the most expensive pick on our list, it’s not going to break into your fuel budget in any serious way, either.
- Large capacity trash can means it’s suitable for longer drives
- Plastic construction makes it safe for wet waste
- Heavy duty anti-slip arms give it extra stability
- While it’s not a bank-breaker, it is the most expensive trash can on our list
- KEEP YOUR VEHICLE CLEAN AND NEAT - With our high quality car trash can, litter on your car floor will be a thing of the past! Candy wrappers, snack containers, juice bottles, soda cans, etc will now have their own place in our elegant vehicle trash can. Just throw a plastic bag in the can, throw your trash in as you go about your day, and throw it all away when you get home, or throw it in the trash can at the gas station.
- LARGE CAPACITY - Our high quality plastic trash bin is extra large yet fits neatly in most vehicles. Measuring 7.2" wide x 7" tall with a 1 gallon capacity, it will serve you well on long family road trips, so keeping your car or truck clean while enjoying family time on the road will not involve a lot of clean up when you arrive at your destination.
- STAYS PUT - Because you don't want your garbage can sliding around in your vehicle while driving, we've added anti-slip, heavy duty arms with spikes on the bottom that stabilize the can even during the most hair raising turns. Fully extended, the arms measure 14", giving you peace of mind.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Let's face it, trash cans get messy and nobody wants to spend a lot of time washing them. This isn't a problem with our quality plastic bin - just run it under water and let it dry. (If you've got some sticky stuff in there, you may need to add a little dish soap.) Suitable for both dry and wet waste.
- AFFORDABLE - With such an affordable price tag, you're going to want one of our extra large vehicle trash cans for every car and truck you own. Don't leave anyone in the family out - everyone deserves to have a clean vehicle! Buy our vehicle trash cans as gifts for new moms, new teen drivers, taxi drivers, or anyone who spends a lot of time in their car.
The High Road TrashStand trash can has an effective weighted base, and doubles as both a trash can and a handy holder of useful things, with a mesh pocket completely separate from the inside of the can.
In terms of capacity, the TrashStand actually trumps the Coli Anna, giving you 2 gallons of space, more than enough for most journeys.
The TrashStand comes with a leakproof liner, so there’s no need to buy extra liners, bags, or the like – just rinse out the liner once you get home, ideally with an antibacterial solution, and you’re good to go.
The cover on the TrashStand is both hard, so no garbage will insinuate its way out (like the miraculous, ever-expanding potato chip packet), and hinged, so it’s easy to access the can when you need it.
And for extra robustness, as well as the standard bean bag to add weighting to the can, there are extra Velcro grip-strips to secure the can to the carpeted floor of the car.
That said, if there’s a weakness to the TrashStand, it’s probably in those Velcro strips, which sometimes aren’t as grippy as you’d like to think.
Also, beware – this is a trash can that, if empty, has a tendency to fall flat because it’s less rigid than, say, the plastic Coli Anna. So while the weighting works well, you might want to start each journey with a little ‘feeder trash’ in the can, just to get it started.
Buy hey – that’s just an excuse for drive-thru breakfast, right?
Priced lower than the Coli Anna, the TrashStand has double its capacity, if slightly less rugged certainty than our plastic list-leader. For bigger families or longer trips though, you’ll appreciate the 2 gallon TrashStand. That said, if you get the chance to empty it, don’t wait, simply because it’s nowhere near full yet. Empty your car’s trash can at the first responsible opportunity.
- A 2 gallon capacity means the TrashStand can take all the trash you throw in it – even on longer journeys
- A handy mesh pocket turns the TrashStand into a double-purpose travel aid
- The hinged, hard lid keeps the can firmly closed in transit, but allows it to open easily when you need it
- The Velcro grip-strips sometimes come loose
- When it’s empty, it has a tendency to fall down
- TIP-RESISTANT CAR TRASH CAN WITH WEIGHTED BASE - hard braking and tight turns won't tip the High Road TrashStand, with its bottom weight and grip strips you can step on the gas without toppling the trash
- LEAKPROOF GARBAGE BIN TAKES WET OR DRY CAR TRASH - we've improved our TrashStand by adding a removable leakproof inner liner - no bags or extra liners needed
- HINGED COVER AND MESH STORAGE POCKET – the hard cover keeps unsightly car trash hidden from view, a wide front pocket offers extra storage for tissues, sanitizer and wipes
- UNIVERSAL SIZE FITS LARGE AND SMALL VEHICLES - 2 gallon capacity garbage bin has a rectangular shape to fit in large or smaller autos in the front, back and trunk areas
- DURABLE MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION - designed with quality materials and built to last - based in Portland Maine, High Road has designed and developed problem-solving car organizers since 1990
Another 2 gallon car trash can, the Freesooth differs from our first two choices in that as well as being able to stand alone, it’s also a strap-on, and so can be used wherever is most convenient in your car. Attach it to a seat arm, hang it over the back of a seat for extra height and stability, the strap can be fitted upto 14 inches.
The outside of the can is made of highly durable Oxford cloth, with a special PEVA leakproof lining for all those wetter garbage moments. Interestingly, the cloth extends all the way to the lid of the can, so you don’t get the usual plastic trash can smells.
The Freesooth, like the TrashStand, uses mesh around the outside to double the can’s usefulness when it comes to holding essential travel accessories. Where the TrashStand only gives you one pocket though, the Freesooth has three, so you can even compartmentalize your travel aid needs.
And for extra value in what is already the cheapest trash can on our list, if you don’t need a garbage can straight away, you can fill the Freesooth with soft drinks, because it has an insulated layer that will keep your sodas cool until you need to drink them. Sodas on the way there, garbage on the way back. Everyone’s a winner!
- The 2 gallon capacity gives the Freesooth enough room for longer trips
- It can be used either freestanding or strapped on to wherever is most convenient
- Three mesh pockets give it an extra use for storage
- And an insulated layer means it can act as a cooler for food and drink if needed
- Cloth trash cans always feel more vulnerable to leaks than plastic ones
- Durable Material: Oxford cloth. The leak proof garbage bag is constructed out of rugged pack cloth that it can provide maximum strength, durability,and longevity.Our trash can lid are made of durable cloth to avoid the smell of the regular plastic lid trash can.
- Size: 8.5" * 5.5" * 11.5". Our Garbage can has 2 Gallon Capacity and waterproof interior. This car trash bag is weighted and collapsible, you can fold the trash bag so small that you can drop it.
- Adjustable straps : The strap can strap to 13 inch, which is long enough to fit around anything in our car. With the adjustable strap and the snap for the adjustment. Multipurpose trash can bag can be hung on the armrest, head rest or just stand alone.
- Special PEVA Lining Design: The lining is PEVA Lining, it is well leak-proof and waterproof to keep car trash under control. Easy to clean, when the bag is dirty just need some water to wash or scrub.
- Multipurpose: This Car trash can is not only a trash can hanging but can also be used as a storage bag for toys, drinks or important documents. It has 3 outside pockets hold wipes, tissues and sanitizer. Our travel trash can is that it also doubles as a travel cooler. The thermal insulated waterproof liner holds ice to keep drink and snacks cold for hours in the car or picnicking.
If you’re buying a weighted trash can for your car, keep a few things in mind.
Stability is king
The most important thing in a weighted trash can is that it helps to mitigate the swerves and brakes of any average drive. Make sure you get a weighted trash can that stays where it’s put.
If your weighted trash can is full to the brim before you’re halfway to your destination, you’re going to be looking around for extra plastic bags to help it do its job. Judge the number of your passengers and the length of your usual trips, and buy your weighted trash can accordingly.
Value for money
Mostly, this is a function of the price you pay for your weighted trash can. But it’s also important to factor in any extra tricks the can does, like giving you extra storage space, or acting as a cooler.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are weighted trash cans weighted with?
It varies from brand to brand, but the easiest option is a bean bag in the base, to stop the trash can tipping or shifting unnecessarily during the drive.
2. Are weighted trash cans suitable for smaller cars?
This depends on the manufacturer, but on the whole, yes, weighted trash cans are suitable for both large and small cars.
3. Are weighted trash cans waterproof?
Yes – most weighted trash cans that are worth even looking at will either be made entirely of plastic, which is about as waterproof as it gets, or will have a leakproof liner fitted as standard, so you can put wet things – or sticky things, come to that – into them safely, without worrying about leakage for the course of the journey.